Midlake: The Courage of Others

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Well Pitchfork has dropped the ball yet again so, being a highly respected blogger now (yeah right), I will pick it up. This is the new Album by Midlake, from Denton, TX. It’s a really solid album just like Midlake is a really solid band. Over the years, they seem to have found a groove, musically, and have created a very rich, full sound for themselves. The Courage of Others is no different. Understandably, it’s hard to follow their last album The Trials of Van Occupanther, which in my opinion is about as close as you can get to a “perfect” album. As an album, Courage is a bit more sullen than previous offers, but still completely delivers what you would expect from a great band like Midlake. There’s not a chance that it deserves a ridiculous rating like a 3.6. This is just another example of Pitchfork’s inability to look past their own foolish expectations and failure to be consistent with their random, and increasingly untrustable rating system. So, my rating is a 136 out of 10. Ok, that’s maybe a bit overboard but, in my eyes, if Van Occupanther is a 9 or 10, Courage is a firm 7. And in the future, if the next Midlake release happens to fall even slightly short of my hopes, you can be sure the review will be consistent with this one. There’s no reason to drop a great album multiple points because they don’t pander to your elitist expectations. This is how you gain and maintain credibility. Thanks for reading my ranting and enjoy the album because it deserves it. Here are a couple tracks to check out…


Midlake - Acts of Man

Midlake - Rulers, Ruling All Things

3 comments:

Anonymous,  February 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

I'm really enjoying The Courage of Others. It's a classic "grower". I don't think it is as immediately catchy/accessible as Van Occupanther was. It doesn't have radio-friendly singles like "Roscoe" but is the type of album best listened to from beginning to end (I often wonder how many people listen to albums all the way through these days.) However, the more I listen to The Courage of Others, the more I pick up on the subtleties that make it so beautiful. The instrumentation and arrangements are impeccable and the recording quality is top notch. The overall tone - theme, lyrics - is much more somber than VO and I can see that being a turnoff to some. If you look on metacritic this album is receiving mostly positive reviews. I agree with you - Pitchfork seems to become increasingly arbitrary with the ratings it doles out and in their desire to play king maker I think they are losing their credibility. I doubt Pitchfork's rating will hurt the band in any way and I hope that people will give The Courage of Others a listen - an incredibly solid album from a bunch of very dedicated and talented musicians.

Kyle February 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Thanks for the comment! Nicely put and I completely agree. Pitchfork really gets me riled up.

Anonymous,  March 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

If I see an album with a high Pitchfork rating, I mostly avoid it, knowing it's likely to be unlistenable hipster garbage. I think Midlake's low rating on Pitchfork makes me like it more.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP